There are many recipes, teas, remedies or meditations that promise to eliminate insomnia and make one fall asleep more quickly. However, whether they work is another story.
Dr. Andrew Weil, MD, Ph.D., MD, Ph.D., has created Exercise 4-7-8, or “natural tranquilizer of the nervous system” in which breathing techniques are used that promise to make one fall asleep in only 60 seconds.
Check out this sleep-catching trick that consists of three simple steps:-
- Stay in a position that does not interfere with your breathing.
- With your mouth closed, count to four while quietly inhaling through your nose.
- Count to seven mentally while holding your breath.
- Exhale through the mouth making noise until you reach number eight.
According to Dr. Weil, in up to four cycles the person has fallen asleep, waking up only the other day without remembering at least have stopped counting. It also emphasizes that the technique is absurdly simple and does not require the use of any equipment. The method is based on the Indian practice Pranayama, which means “breath control”
To ensure perfect operation, it is essential to count right, without accelerating or slowing down the seconds. Also, performing the technique without interruptions (without rebreathing normally) is also recommended. In this way, the brain is unable to produce other thoughts that can cause distractions and cause anxiety.
With this exercise, you can feel the heart rate slow down and slow down, soothing the mind and making the body relax. Several people have reported falling asleep before even performing the second breath cycle.
The trick is recommended mainly for people who suffer from anxiety and nervousness, in addition to saving the pocket and the body, avoiding the consumption of sedative remedies. The stress causes people to breathe shallowly and soon coming to hold his breath unconsciously.
With exercise, you force yourself to improve oxygenation by positively affecting the bloodstream, causing an anesthetic and calming effect. It will calm your heart instantly, as well as calm the nervous system in general.
Breathing techniques have been used in modalities such as yoga, which provide relaxation and well-being of the body. 4-7-8 is one of the best known in the United States and although it does not guarantee health benefits, it is proven that exercise helps those who practice it to fall asleep faster. In addition, one can practice a few moments before an event, meeting or simply if you are nervous and seek calm.
Learn other ways to fight insomnia and improve sleep quality:-
- Reduce consumption of alcoholic beverages and stimulants such as black coffee and energy;
- Avoid heavy meals before falling asleep. The idea is to replace them with light foods or soothing teas like chamomile or herbs;
- Avoid sleeping during the day or changing schedules;
- Do not practice physical exercises very close to bedtime, as they increase metabolism and energy;
- Avoid discussing problems and physical efforts. Always seek to relax your mind and body for at least two hours before bedtime;
- Keep the room clean, comfortable, quiet and dark, always avoiding materials that can cause allergy-like carpets and rugs;
- Choose a good position to sleep, avoiding always opt for belly down, great cause of problems in the spine;
- Avoid spending too much time in bed, like watching TV or tinkering with the computer. The bed should only be used for sleeping;
So, if you liked this article then simply do not forget to share this article with your friends and family.